Pages

noun
a person professing special secret knowledge concerning ceramics, esp. concerning the making of porcelain.

Welcome to Everyday Arcanist

Back in high school I remember looking up the word arcane to see if I was using it correctly. Turns out I was, but directly underneath the definition of arcane, I found the definition above. It always struck me as completely, wonderfully, absurd that there exists in the English language a word to describe somebody who knows an exceptional amount about making porcelain, but refuses to tell anybody about it.

Everyday Arcanist will be the place where I park all those random thoughts that may or may not be of interest to anyone other than myself. I expect the majority of my posts to revolve around one of my three major interests - sports, history, and Canadian politics.

I hope you find something to enjoy.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Last North American Tory?

I just finished reading David Frum's latest article in the New York Times, and while I certainly disagree with much of what he says - at least I can understand it. Much of the rhetoric coming from the right (the Glen Becks in the United States and the Blogging Tories in Canada) is very bizarre to me, and on a fundamental level, I just don't understand.  Frum seems to be coming from a classic Tory background, something we haven't really seen in Canada since Joe Clark shuffled off the stage.

Anyways, Frum's latest is an interesting read...which is something I never imagined I'd ever say back when Frum was Bush's speechwriter and coining the phrase "axis of evil". You should check it out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/magazine/14FOB-idealab-t.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

No comments:

Post a Comment