Pages

noun
a person professing special secret knowledge concerning ceramics, esp. concerning the making of porcelain.

Welcome to Everyday Arcanist

Back in high school I remember looking up the word arcane to see if I was using it correctly. Turns out I was, but directly underneath the definition of arcane, I found the definition above. It always struck me as completely, wonderfully, absurd that there exists in the English language a word to describe somebody who knows an exceptional amount about making porcelain, but refuses to tell anybody about it.

Everyday Arcanist will be the place where I park all those random thoughts that may or may not be of interest to anyone other than myself. I expect the majority of my posts to revolve around one of my three major interests - sports, history, and Canadian politics.

I hope you find something to enjoy.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Great Moments in Polticial History.

Parliament Building, Montreal, Canada -  1849.


On July 26th 1849, the Tories convened in Kingston (the recently vacated capital) and voted in favour of annexation into the United States. What caused them to consider such a drastic measure? They didn't want to pay damages to the innocent Quebecois bystanders whose farms were burned down by the British military during an intimidation campaign in the immediate aftermath of the 1837 Rebellion. A similar compensation package for Upper Canada had passed without controversy five years earlier.  The bill so enraged the entrenched Tories that they fomented a riot that culminated in the burning of Parliament in Montreal (the fire brigade, which was controlled by English Protestants, let it burn unimpeded).  This measure was so offensive to the Tories (which included a young John A. MacDonald), that they would rather Canada cease to exist altogether.

Something to keep in mind the next time Harper's Conservative government calls some Liberal's patriotism into question or implies that a certain politician isn't sufficiently Canadian.

No comments:

Post a Comment